Being that the Cumberland River is such an important and historical waterway in the southern United States, there are many organizations dedicated to monitoring and preserving the health of the river. Here are just a few of the organizations, if you would like to be added please let us know.
- South Fork Cumberland River Watershed – Department of Environment & Conservation
- Upper Cumberland River Watershed – Department of Environment & Conservation
- Cumberland River Compact
A great way to see some of the sights and nature of the area is from a relaxing cruise aboard a boat. The Cumberland River has many tour operators that range from big old-fashioned paddle boats to smaller pontoon boats.
- Cumberland River Cruises – Nashville, TN
- Cumberland River Cruises – Lebanon, TN
- Blue Heron Cruises – Ashland, TN – http://blueheroncruises.com/
- Cumberland Star Riverboat – Corbin, KY – http://www.ky-rafting.com/riverboat-cruises.html
The area of the Cumberland River just behind the hyrdo-power dam in Kentucky is an excellent habitat for trout and other fish, the Cumberland River has produced the record-holding fish for both largest Rainbow Trout and largest Brown Trout in Kentucky. You can also catch Stripers, Walleye, and Saugers.
- Rainbow Guide Service – Burkesville, KY – http://www.rainbowguideservice.fghp.com/
- Southeastern Anglers – Burkesville, KY – http://www.southeasternanglers.com/guided-rivers/cumberland-river-fly-fishing-guide-service.html
- Cumberland Trout Guide – Jamestown, KY – http://cumberlandtroutguide.com/
- Rocky Top Anglers – Burkesville, KY – http://rockytopanglers.com/the_rivers/cumberland_river
The Whitewater rafting available along the Cumberland River starting just below the Cumberland Falls is considered ClassIII/Beginner, so it is suitable for inexperienced rafters. Of course you should go with an experienced guide and always wear your personal flotation device and head protection. The rafting season is from May to September.
Sheltowee Trace Outfitters – Corbin, KY – http://www.ky-rafting.com/whitewater-rafting.html
Canoeing & Kayaking
Not into adrenaline sports or have little ones with you? A canoe or kayak is another great way to see the river.
Sheltowee Trace Outfitters – Corbin, KY – http://www.ky-rafting.com/canoeing-and-kayaking.html